CleanOxide usage in Breweries
Brewing Equipment Sanitisation
Chlorine dioxide is a safe and effective sanitiser for use in a variety of brewing and packaging applications.
CleanOxide Chlorine Dioxide can be applied to water systems, processing equipment, and environmental surfaces to reduce or eliminate brewery spoilage organisms.
Washing yeast with Chlorine Dioxide
Pitching yeasts collected from brewery fermentations are never absolutely free of microbiological infection. In spite of all sanitary precautions, some bacteria and wild yeast will contaminate the pitching yeast. The pitching yeast can contain healthy yeast cells and trub (dead yeast cells and organic residues) and may contain 5 to 15% dry solids.
CleanOxide is an alternative to distilled water or acid washing that is relatively new to the brewing industry. CleanOxide is a method of washing yeast to minimize microbiological infection. It kills via microbes by reacting chemically with sulfur-containing amino acids.
Benefits of CleanOxide Chlorine Dioxide
- Effective over a broad pH range (4 to 10).
- Does not affect the taste of beer due to its very low effective dosage
- Controls bacteria, fungi, viruses, biofilm and algae.
- Does not react with ammonia & does not produce toxic compounds in contact with organic materials present in water.
- Effective at lower dose rates than chlorine or bromine.
- Non-corrosive at the recommended dose rates.
- Rapidly degrade to harmless inorganic chemicals when exposed to sunlight, so when tanks are severely contaminated and require flushing no harmful chemicals are released into the environment.
- Does not contain free chlorine.
- Micro-organisms do not develop resistance to Clean Oxide.
- Safe for consumption and approved for use in Australia and around the world.